moving & preserving links between chapters in a book

O'Laoghaire Micheal Micheal.OLaoghaire at comverse.com
Wed Oct 8 08:08:53 PDT 2008

You can also copy/paste the book and all its files (including graphics
in sub-folders) - using file manager, e.g. Windows Explorer.
The files should then keep all their relative links to each other
intact. Links, text insets etc. to outside files (e.g. common files such
as copyright pages, logos etc.) will probably need to be re-established
as their paths are relative.

If you open a file in FrameMaker and 'Save As" it to another location,
the xrefs in the new file will be pointing back to their original
targets. As long as the original target files (and the relevant xref
target markers) remain, Frame will not complain and your books will
appear to build fine. You may not discover the error(s) until, say, you
build a PDF from the book and click on some of the supposedly-internal
links, then find that they are broken.
Also if you use WebWorks to build help for the book, it will complain
about these external links.

At that stage, it may not be an easy task to re-point the links to their
correct targets (especially if  you discover the problem near deadline
time!)

HTH,
Micheal O'Laoghaire
Comverse Inc.