moving & preserving links between chapters in a book

Ron and Mary Jo Teplitz ronzoni3 at comcast.net
Wed Oct 8 19:38:02 PDT 2008

> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 09:09:34 -0400
> From: "James Dyson" <jdyson at kvh.com>
> Subject: moving & preserving links between chapters in a book
> To: <framers at lists.frameusers.com>
>
> Hi all. I'm using Framemaker 8 and we just discovered a problem caused
> when we move our books  to different network locations. If we move
> from
> point A to point B, the book's links to chapters (i.e. index) and the
> links to different places within the same chapter work just fine. What
> doesn't work is the links from one chapter to another. Is there a
> solution? There very well may be a better way to do this, but
> here's how
> we move our books: We do a "save as" command for each chapter to
> the new
> location. We then create a book from scratch in that location (and
> update the book). I'm stumped.
>

> James Dyson
>
> Technical Writer
>
> KVH Industries, Inc.
>
> 50 Enterprise Center | Middletown, RI 02842
>
> Direct Tel: +1.401.845.2416
>
> Tel: +1.401.847.3327 | Fax: +1.401.849.0045
>
> jdyson at kvh.com
>
> http://www.kvh.com <http://www.kvh.com/>
>
> The information contained in this electronic mail transmission is
> intended by KVH Industries for the use of the named individual or
> entity to which it is directed and may contain information that is
> confidential or privileged.  If you have received this electronic
> mail transmission in error, please delete it from your system
> without copying or forwarding it, and notify the sender of the
> error by reply email so that the sender's address records can be
> corrected.

James,
If you move a file with Save As, it retains the path to external
files that existed when you did the save.
If you move files to a new location with Windows Explorer, Finder, or
some other file manager tool,
retaining relative paths between linked files, links will survive and
will point to the new location.
Ron