CMYK in Frame

Jacob Schäffer js at grafikhuset.dk
Thu Oct 9 12:49:02 PDT 2008

Hi Scott,

When you work with images in Framemaker on Windows and import image formats that resemble RAW image CMYK data (such as CMYK TIFF or CMYK JPEG) you *will* experience a loss in color fidelity because Framemaker on Windows can't use bitmapped CMYK data directly. However, FM can *read* the RAW CMYK data and convert them to some RGB or sRGB format Windows GDI (or GDI+) can use downstream, i.e. for display and print.

Unfortunately CMYK -> RGB conversion is lossy in regard to color fidelity because of gamut limitations in the CMYK color space (reflective colors depend a lot on paper quality, light temperature etc.). Therefore, Framemaker on Windows try to do something reasonable with such CMYK input (i.e. it basically uses canonical CMY -> RGB conversion with the addition of a reasonable, but less intelligent "guess" of what to do with the K component -- NOT at all comparable to "true" color management based CMYK -> RGB transforms, but *reasonable* yet not "good enough").

EPS *without* PostScript color management or PDF directly saved from Photoshop does NOT suffer. Hence, EPS or PDF are preferred formats for CMYK image data. PDF is overall preferred *unless* you need duotone images, which Framemaer does NOT support in PDF format at all -- au contraire to the FM documentation.

To make a long story short: Save CMYK images as not color managed EPS or PDF directly from Photoshop. PDF is preferred because of file sizes and because PDF performs A LOT better with screen preview, screen redraw speed and printing speed than EPS.

WARNING: Framemaker does NOT support some SPOT color definitions in PDF, so *IF* you use SPOT colors with imported artwork or images then use EPS instead.

For some aged, but still relevant, additional info, please see http://www.grafikhuset.net/publipdf/whitepaper_difficult_pdf_documents.html

Best regards / Med venlig hilsen
Jacob Schäffer  |  Chief Developer
Grafikhuset