Font issue after upgrading to Framemaker 8

Dov Isaacs isaacs at adobe.com
Wed Oct 15 22:47:14 PDT 2008

FrameMaker 8 certainly does handle fonts differently from earlier versions.
It is a Unicode application and such changes in character mappings is a major
area to watch out for when migrating any document to FrameMaker 8 that
uses characters in fonts that are not mapped correctly. All the Wingding,
Webding, and similar symbolic fonts from Microsoft attempt to remap non-ASCII
characters down to the ASCII and western Latin character range and can cause
problems such as that which you are experiencing. Similar problems (and even
worse) occurred in Microsoft programs when they started supporting Unicode.

        - Dov