Importing FM Text

Nina Rogers Nina.Rogers at DrakeSoftware.com
Fri Oct 17 10:26:17 PDT 2008

Hello, Framers!

I have several (OK, 50) short Framemaker files that I want to combine
into what will be "Chapter 3" of a book file. The book file has already
been created (it's for a user guide that is updated from year to year),
and the chapter already exists ... I've just revamped the chapter and
want to replace it with my combined 50 files. The 50 files have many,
many graphics imported by reference. They also include intra-file
cross-references. I'm waiting until they are integrated into the book
file before I worry about cross-referencing to other files.

My plan is open the existing "Chapter 3" file (the one I want to
replace). I will delete the text flow from Chapter 3, then do a File >
Import > File > Import for each of my 50 short files. When the Import
Text Flow by Copy dialog comes up, I will select Body Page Flow and
Reformat Using Current Document's Formats.

I have been working in Framemaker for about a year and a half, but my
this type of import is not something I have done before. My concerns are
as follows:

1.	Will I lose my graphics? I tested this and it doesn't look like
I will. I'm just nervous. :-(
2.	Will the styles get "messed up"? Both the original "Chapter 3"
and my 50 files used the same document as a template, so the styles are
(or should be!) all the same.

Also, is there a better way to do this? Does anyone have any tips for
any preliminary steps I should take?

Thanks!

Nina Rogers, Technical Writer

Tax Development (Federal)

Drake Software

(828) 524-8020 x4204

nina.rogers at drakesoftware.com

This email (including any attachments) contains PRIVILEGED AND
CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION protected by federal and/or state law and is
intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entity(ies) designated
as recipient(s). The information contained within this email should not
be construed as tax advice. If you are not an intended recipient of the
email, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying,
distribution, or action taken in reliance on the contents of this email
is strictly prohibited. Disclosure to anyone other than the intended
recipient does not constitute a waiver of any applicable privilege. If
you have received this email in error, please immediately notify us by
phone at (828) 524-2922 or by email at Security at Dnet.net
<mailto:Security at Dnet.net>  and then permanently delete the original and
any copy of this email (including any attachments) and destroy any
printout thereof.