text frame that isn't visible

poshedly at bellsouth.net poshedly at bellsouth.net
Mon Oct 20 13:01:24 PDT 2008

My own experience with connecting text frames where one isn't visible is when I have a frame with special text of some kind on one page, and then create an empty frame on another page down the line and need the text from the first frame to continue into the frame on the latter page.

For instance, a story on page 1 of your newspaper that continues inside the newspaper would use this feature. In this case, here's what I do (and it does work for me):

1. Create a text frame on the current page and import the text into that frame.

2. Navigate to the page where the story should continue and create a text frame (it doesn't matter what size) on that page.

3. Return to the frame on the page where the text starts and click on that frame to highlight the grab handles.

4. Navigate to the page where the new text frame is located and click on that frame to highlight the grab handles.

5. Click on the Format pull-down, then select Customize layout, then select Connect text frames and answer in the affirmative to "Ok to use a text frame that isn't visible?".

The overflow text from the first text frame (which is on the earlier, nonvisible page) now flows into the visible text frame on the current page.

Like I said, this works for me.

-- Kenpo in Atlanta

-------------- Original message from "Deirdre Reagan" <deirdre.reagan at gmail.com>: --------------