Commas in paragraph tags

Tue Oct 28 11:05:26 PDT 2008

Michael Müller-Hillebrand wrote:

> It will not help you, but the pgf format name is not well chosen
> anyway: Using "H2 Heading2" would have anabled easy access to the
> format using the Ctrl+9 (or F9) shortcut to select pgf formats from
> the status area. But of course, the original designer would have
> chosen "H2, Heading2"... :-(

I agree that the name isn't well chosen. But I don't think the "H2 Heading2" convention is particularly helpful.

When you use F9 to apply pgf tags (or F8 for char tags), you can cycle through the tags beginning with a letter by pressing it repeatedly. Assuming that Heading1 is the first pgf in the catalog beginning with H, you can apply it by pressing F9 h <Enter>. To apply Heading2, press F9 h h <Enter>; Heading3, F9 h h h <Enter>; etc.

Very little is gained (at least for the first few headings) by adding an H1/H2/H3/... prefix. And if other tags begin with H, you lose the ability to find all headings and only headings by searching for Head* (with Whole Word and Use Wildcards selected.

When designing a template, you can make keyboard tagging much easier by giving some thought to your tag names. For instance, don't name anything to come before Body (that way, F9 <Enter> applies it), start only your heading tags with H, and avoid having too many tags begin with the same letter.

IMHO, YMMV, etc.

Richard

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer