Missing font when printing

elizabeth moffatt elizabeth.moffatt at alliedtelesis.co.nz
Wed Sep 3 20:54:37 PDT 2008

Hi,

Looks like the problem was that I was missing the ttf file from Microsoft's font directory (although there was another symbol font with a different file extension that ATM had put in there).

I'm not sure why this would have happened on my PC but not my co-workers (or a previous install I had)!

Thanks to Dave and David for your replies back.

Elizabeth

>>> Dave Reynolds <dave.reynolds at tait.co.nz> 4/09/2008 2:49 p.m. >>>
Hi from the other side of town :-) !

This message only just appeared in my inbox, although it is dated
yesterday, so you may already have the answer.

Normally the response would be that you are using a printer font (ie
physically present in the printer) that is not on your PC.
Frame/Windows knows the font is there (on the printer), but Acrobat
can't access it because it's not on your PC.  However, I'm not sure that
Symbol is supplied with printers, so that may not be the answer.

One possible thing to check is this.  I vaguely remember having a
similar problem a few years back.  We use the Type 1 Symbol font, and it
suddenly stopped printing.  This coincided with either a PC or Windows
upgrade.  Eventually found out that I did not have the True Type Symbol
font installed (symbol.ttf).  Even though I was using the T1 font and
not the TT font, Windows needed the TT font to be present for the T1
version to "work".  It might pay to check your Windows\Fonts directory
and make sure symbol.ttf is present.  If not, install it (just copy it
from another PC and then install it on yours).

Good luck

Dave

elizabeth moffatt wrote, on 3/09/2008 1:51 p.m.:
> Hi,
>
> I am having an issue with at least one font on my system.
>
> Within Framemaker, the font is available to use and shows up fine. However, when I create a PDF or print a hardcopy, the font disappears. There is no warning that the font is missing. The font is "Symbol".
>
> I have:
> Framemaker version 7.0p578
> Adobe Type Manager 4.1 build 243 lite
> Acrobat prof 8.1.2
>
> Computer is running XP with service pack 2
>
> I also have ARTS link checker, and Timesavers installed (although i don't think this is working properly, but haven't needed to use it).
>
> Printers drivers are using a PS driver.
>
> I've tried printing using the "Adobe PDF" print option, and unticking the following setting:
>
> Rely on system fonts only; do not use document fonts
>
> but still the font doesn't print.
>
> Any ideas please, or has someone ever suffered the same?
>
> Thanks,
> Elizabeth
>
> NOTICE: This message contains privileged and confidential
> information intended only for the use of the addressee
> named above. If you are not the intended recipient of
> this message you are hereby notified that you must not
> disseminate, copy or take any action in reliance on it.
> If you have received this message in error please
> notify Allied Telesis Labs Ltd immediately.
> Any views expressed in this message are those of the
> individual sender, except where the sender has the
> authority to issue and specifically states them to
> be the views of Allied Telesis Labs.

Dave Reynolds                         Phone: (64) (3) 358 1029
Senior Technical Author               Fax: (64) (3) 359 4632
Tait Electronics Ltd                  Email: dave.reynolds at tait.co.nz
PO Box 1645
Christchurch
New Zealand

addressee.  It is subject to copyright, is confidential and may be
lost by reason of this transmission.
other act on the email.