ACTIVATING FONTS

Dov Isaacs isaacs at adobe.com
Sat Sep 6 18:06:57 PDT 2008

Michael,

Contrary to what you may believe, FrameMaker has no "autoactivation"
option it it. Like other Windows applications, when a font is added to
the system, via Windows' standard "Add Fonts" control panel option or
via ATM (or for that matter any font manager that properly interfaces
with Windows), Windows' underlying font system sends a message to all
open applications advising of a change in the font system. An application
may then choose to query the system for all available fonts (font enumeration).

If adding a font via Extensis Suitcase does not properly get notification
to applications about the change in the available fonts, it is likely an
issue with Suitcase.

By the way, you are misusing the term "autoactivation." The term
"autoactivation" would refer to the scenario whereby your document (in this
case, a FrameMaker document) refers to a font that isn't currently installed
on your system. "Autoactivation" would cause the font manager to look for
the desired font in its own private collection of available, but not installed
fonts, and if such a font was available, automatically and immediately install
that font on the system and advise the application of its availability.

For better or worse, such an "autoactivation" capability normally requires
"cooperation" (i.e., a programming interface) with the application programs
that could make use of same. Neither FrameMaker nor ATM support any
"autoactivation" mechanism.

        - Dov