Times, Times Roman, Times New Roman, and changing printers, etc.

Jim Owens jowens at magma.ca
Wed Sep 10 08:03:37 PDT 2008

My Windows system has Times (Type 1), Times New Roman (Type 1), and
Times New Roman (TrueType).  The Times font is listed in the Fonts
window under the name "Times Roman", but when I view it, it is entitled
"Times (Type 1)".

When you view a font selected from the Fonts window, you see the upper
and lower case alphabets, the numerics, and a series of sample sentences
("The quick brown fox. . .") at different font sizes. Here is what I
observe on my screen (my printer is an HP with simulated Postscript, so
I'm not relying on the printouts):

The Times (Type 1) alphabet takes the most horizontal space. The Times
New Roman (OpenType) alphabet takes less space, by about one character
over the length of the alphabet. The Times New Roman (Type 1) takes the
least space, by about two characters over the length of the alphabet
compared to Times.

Notwithstanding this, there is almost no discernible difference in the
length of the Times (Type1) and Times New Roman (Type 1) sample
sentences, while the Times New Roman (OpenType) sample sentences are
about two characters shorter over the length (the "0" falls roughly
under the "8" of the other two).

The leading between the sample sentences differs. The samples in Times
(Type 1) take the least vertical space. The Times New Roman (OpenType)
samples take more (the top of the 72pt "T" aligns roughly with the top
of the Times 72pt "e"), and the Times New Roman (Type 1) takes the most
(the top of the 72pt "T" is just a little higher than the horizontal
line in the Times 72pt "e").

The Times (Type1) face has the largest x-height. The other two have the
same x-height, as far as I can tell. The contrast between the thick and
thin portions of the letters is greatest for Times, less for Times New
Roman (Type1), and least for Times New Roman (OpenType).

My overall impression is that Times (Type1) is the easiest font to read
at 12pt. If I may veer into completely qualitative analysis, it has a
traditional, rather calm feeling. The Times New Roman (Type1) has a more
efficient, urgent feeling, and is slightly less legible. The Times New
Roman (OpenType) is the least pleasant font; it has a cramped feeling.

Hope this helps.