Times, Times Roman, Times New Roman, and changing printers, etc.

Wed Sep 10 12:26:16 PDT 2008

Art Campbell wrote:

> The Xerox drive is probably PostScript compliant, the H-P, from your
> description, is probably not. So far as I know. PS is still and extra
> item on most H-P systems, which means that they use HPGL as the
> default page description language.

Actually, HP printers use PCL (Printer Control Language) by default
(plotters use HPGL). Here's a comparison of PostScript and PCL from HP
(some pro-PCL bias should be assumed):

http://tinyurl.com/57zs8v

> Depending on your final output, many shops and users find that the
> best setup is to standardize on the Adobe Acrobat PDF logical printer
> as the system (of Frame -- there's a plug in that lets it be set to
> default only within FM) default printer. Moving to the Adobe Acrobat
> default is likely to solve your font problem too, because it is likely
> to use the same fonts as the Xeros does.

The setup suggestion is a good idea. The plugin is SetPrint from
Sundorne Communications:

http://www.sundorne.com/FrameMaker/Freeware/setPrint.htm

But Art is exactly wrong about the font problem. With a Xerox PostScript
printer as your FM printer, you have access to the PostScript fonts that
reside on the printer (typically, PS printers have the "standard 35" PS
fonts). When you switch to Acrobat as your printer, you'll only have
available the fonts that are actually installed on your computer. Unless
you've purchased and installed a package like Adobe Type Basics, you
probably won't have all the fonts you've been used to using because
they're on your printer.

OTOH, you shouldn't be using fonts that aren't on your PC -- you can't
embed them in your PDFs, so if you release those, your readers are
seeing some ugly font substitutions.

HTH!
Richard

Richard G. Combs