What is the purpose of round-tripping Structured Framemaker and XML

Scott Prentice sp at leximation.com
Thu Sep 11 10:37:03 PDT 2008

Basically .. if your publishing process uses the XML files at some
point, you're better off editing the XML files directly (round-tripping
the XML) rather than editing the binary files and saving to XML
occasionally. A binary FM file can contain content that may not be
allowed in the XML data model, and round-tripping to XML will ensure
that the files are always valid and "clean". This typically falls into
the area of graphics and graphic properties as well as overstyling that
can creep in. These things won't be caught by the structure validation
(since they aren't part of the structure), and will typically get
stripped out on save to XML.

Mike's points are also quite valid reasons to round-trip to XML.

If your publishing process does nit make use of XML at all, then there's
probably no reason to save or round-trip to XML and it's OK to keep the
files as FM binaries.

...scott

Scott Prentice
Leximation, Inc.