SOLVED Re: Acrobat displays only B/W

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Mon Sep 15 09:37:24 PDT 2008

Art Campbell wrote:
> Have you checked your video card drivers lately, to make sure they're
> up to date?
>
> Art
>
> Art Campbell art.campbell at gmail.com
>  "... In my opinion, there's nothing in this world beats a '52 Vincent
> and a redheaded girl." -- Richard Thompson
>  No disclaimers apply.
>  DoD 358
>

> 2008/9/15 Stuart Rogers <srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com>:
>> Win XP SP2
>> Acrobat Pro 6.0
>> Dell Precision 360, Pentium 4, 3 GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, 14GB free disk space
>> on C: drive
>>
>> All of a sudden my Acrobat Pro 6 has lost the ability to display colour.
>>  All PDFs I open, whether created on my PC or downloaded from other
>> sources (and known to be colour documents), display in black and white
>> only.  Printing these docs from Acrobat works fine -- colour as expected.
>>
>> Cold or warm reboot does not help.
>>
>> Have I accidentally hit a keyboard shortcut that turned off colour?  Any
>> other ideas?  I looked through all the Preferences, but I don't see
>> anything that looks likely.  Other than that, I don't know where to
>> start  :-(
>>
>> Thanks for any suggestions...

Thanks Art, I tried your suggestion and indeed found a newer driver, but
that did not fix the problem.  Then I tried Detect and Repair from the
Help menu, and that did not fix the problem.  However, it made me pull
out my installation CD, and while the "repair" was being carried out, I
glanced idly through the Getting Started Guide.  And there I saw a
mention of Preflight and CMYK separations (stuff I never use), and I
thought hmmmmm, maybe I'm somehow seeing just the K separation???

Turns out that at some point I had attempted a Redo command by using
Control-Y -- the opposite of Control-Z in most applications, but NOT in
Acrobat.  Control-Y toggles "Proof Colors" and when you turn it ON, your
colours go OFF.  Really intuitive, Adobe, thanks ;-)

Seeing the world through rose-tinted glasses once again,

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator

srogers phoenix-geophysics com

"The great enemy of clear language is insincerity. When there is a gap
between one's real and one's declared aims, one turns as it were
instinctively to long words and exhausted idioms, like a cuttlefish
squirting out ink."

— George Orwell