Odd cross-ref substitution 7.2

Jeremy H. Griffith jeremy at omsys.com
Mon Sep 15 17:16:05 PDT 2008

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 17:49:19 +0300, "David Kuhn"
<david.kuhn at amdocs.com> wrote:

>I do have a larger issue, though with the symbols.
>Sometimes I find it very difficult to tell what they are doing there.
>The upside down T is conditional text.
>The right-side up T is a cross-reference marker.

Nope!  *All* the right-side-up T's are markers.  If you have
two in a row, the T's are superimposed, so you can never
see how many you really have.  To avoid this, some folks
make a point of separating markers by at least one printable
char, so you may get something like this:

  MyT HeTadTinTgT

Conditional text markers display like any other marker type.

The upside-down T's are *anchors*, like for a ship.  ;-)
They appear where you have inserted a table or an anchored
frame; the table or image itself may well be elsewhere on
the page, or even on the next page.  But if you select the
anchor, you'll see the corresponding table or image selected.
Anchors overlap like markers, so you may want to use the
same trick as for markers to keep them separated.

The reason they overlap, BTW, is because Frame needs to keep
the line breaks and positioning accurate to the printed doc;
if the markers and anchors took up space, the rendering would
be thrown off.

HTH!