Renaming 300 linked graphics in Framemaker

Kelly McDaniel kmcdaniel at pavtech.com
Tue Sep 16 09:00:47 PDT 2008

I faced a similar issue when I inherited 11 books with almost 1.500
graphics. The graphics file names, in some cases, were numeric, and in
others they were human-readable, but in someone else's shorthand. My
goal was to segregate books/files into discrete directories with a
graphics child directory in each book dir.

1. I created the book/files and graphics directories, establishing a
scalable directory structure.

2. I manually moved books and all related files into their respective
directories. This broke all inter-book cross-refs. This was OK, since I
produce only PDFs.

3. I renamed all books and files to a logical, human-readable scheme.
For example, ana_gr_vws.fm became <product framework name>_<application
name>_Analyzer_graph_views.fm.

4. I click-dragged ALL GRAPHICS into each child graphics folder in each
book folder.

5. I opened the book in FM and answered Use This New Path when the
graphics broken link window appeared.

6. I ran a utility to delete all unused graphics.

7. I used a renaming utility to append
<product framework name>_<application name>_Analyzer as a file name
prefix.

8. I re-opened the book in FM and this time, at each graphics link
break, I manually re-established the link to each graphic, repeating the
previous few steps for each book.

It sounds like a lot of work, but it took less than 50 hours. What I got
in the end was a directory structure, file structure, and naming
convention that works well for scalability and can readily be used by a
junior writer...regards, Kelly.