FM8 crashes

Hayward, Morgan (Bolton) mhayward at husky.ca
Tue Sep 16 11:47:17 PDT 2008

Hi Charlie,

We had a similar problem directly related to Microsoft Office software.
The longer we worked with FM8 in a single session, the higher the
likelihood that opening an e-mail through Outlook, opening/creating a
Word document, or opening/creating an Excel document would cause FM8 to
crash.  According to Adobe technical support, FM8 creates a series of
temporary files in your Temp folder and then deletes them once you close
your session.  If you don't have a lot of RAM or have a slow processor,
doing anything with Microsoft Office like what I've described will cause
it to crash because there isn't enough space in the Temp folder.

You can either make sure your Temp folder is completely empty before
every time you start FrameMaker (won't stop the crashes completely),
only use FM8 when all Microsoft Office applications are closed, or
upgrade your PC.

I recently upgraded to a dual core 3.0 GHz processor with 2.0 GB of RAM
and haven't experienced a crash since.  My co-workers however are still
suffering and see maybe 14 crashes a day.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Morgan

Morgan Hayward