missing fonts after changing computers;customize maker.ini file?

Thu Sep 25 11:25:58 PDT 2008

Scott Penney wrote:

> I need to reset my fonts for a new computer; this is especially
important
> for bullets and some symbols. How can I configure Frame so that it
uses the
> fonts that it used on the old machine?

Wrong verb. Not "reset" -- "install." And note that connecting to a
PostScript printer gives you access to the standard PostScript fonts
when printing to that printer, but they're not installed on your PC and
can't be used in PDFs.

> I'm using FM 7.1 on Windows XP Professional (Version 2002, Service
Pack 3),
> and I need to restore my font settings so that FM can use Helvetica
for
> some paragraph formats and ZapfDingbats for square bullets and other
> symbols. Currently ZapfDingbats is replaced by Times New Roman,
Helvetica
> by Arial, and Times by Times Roman.
>
> So far, I have downloaded the free Adobe Type Manager from the Abobe
> Website. Both Helvetica, Times, and Zapf Dingbats appear in the ATM
window
> in the PSFONTS folder.

Sorry to hear that. IIRC, ATM Lite is not compatible with Win XP, only
ATM Deluxe (not free) is. It's been several years now, but I recall that
installing ATM Lite on XP caused problems, and that removing it required
a special utility from Adobe (Add/Remove Programs couldn't undo the
damage). You'll need to search the Adobe Knowledgebase for the details.

> However, when I open a Frame document, I get the missing fonts message
> followed by the Framemaker Console List with the list of unavailable
fonts
> followed by the fonts that replace them.
>
> Furthermore, in the Family drop-down list, Default tab of the
Paragraph
> Designer dialog box, the missing fonts appear in grey.
>
> Some years ago, when I was using FM 6 on Windows 2000, I seem to
recall
> changing the font settings in the maker.ini file; that recollection
may be
> unreliable.

No, you remember right. In the [Fonts] section of the file, you can
change the default substitute for missing fonts as well as map specific
missing fonts to the replacements you want to use. It's not for the
faint of heart and may require some experimentation to get right. Then,
if you turn of Remember Missing Font Names, the substitutions will
become permanent.

Of course, this assumes that you really do want to permanently replace
the font. That might be true for replacing Times with Times New Roman,
but you can't just replace one symbol font, like Zapf Dingbats, with
another -- an "f" is an "f," but in symbol fonts, the characters don't
correspond.

> I tried to follow the Customizing FrameMaker manual for locating the
> maker.ini files and changing font profiles, but couldn't find the
> corresponding folders on my machine (the manual indicates
> UserProfile\ApplicationData\Adobe\FrameMaker\7.0).

The main maker.ini is right where it's always been -- the FM
installation folder -- and that's the one you probably want to make font
mapping changes in. There's another one for your personal settings, but
it's mainly for things like window sizes and positions, recent files,
etc. "UserProfile" is a variable referring to a specific user's
"profile" data, the location of which depends on the Windows version.

This is all explained on page 1 of the Customizing manual under the
heading "Locating customization files." There's a table there that shows
you where UserProfile is for each Windows version.

Richard

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.