Problem printing Unicode Character

Jeremy H. Griffith jeremy at omsys.com
Fri Sep 26 14:45:39 PDT 2008

On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 15:39:30 +0200, <Marc.REGNIER at oecd.org> wrote:

>I have a problem printing some Unicode character.  For exemple, the character
>U0101 (Latin Small Letter A With Macron) print correctly in Times New Roman,
>but with another font (Caecilia LT CE 55 Roman for exemple), I got another
>character.
>
>But, it's printing correctly from Illustrator...
>
>Could it be a bug form Frame or I missed something ?
>
>I'm working on Windows XP SP2 and Frame 8.0p277.

Since you are using Frame 8, you are using the Unicode character
set internally.  TNR, and most other standard MS fonts, support
that.  However, fonts that use a different character set do not.
Your "Caecilia LT CE 55 Roman" font uses code page 1250; that's
what the "CE" in its name means.  And it happens that for U+0101,
there is *no* mapping in CP1250... so you will not get "small a
macron", because it isn't there.  In fact, it's not in *any* of
the code page based fonts.  U+0103 is in 1250, and you might
get away with using that (small a breve).

Your best bet is to stick with Unicode fonts, and not try to use
others that are CE, CYR, GRK, etc.  The code page system was made
to provide access to characters within an 8-bit space, and it
required remapping of various groups of Unicode characters to
fit into that space.  Frame 7 and earlier supported that, but
Frame 8 does not.  Even if you have to replace some fonts, it's
best to move on.

HTH!