Any up to date comparisons of Word and Frame

Kelly McDaniel kmcdaniel at pavtech.com
Thu Apr 9 10:46:33 PDT 2009

As the writer states in this post:

"It all comes down to this:

FrameMaker is a very mature and solid product
that can handle structural complexity very well."

http://www.technicalcommunicationcenter.com/2009/02/08/which-text-editor
-to-use-for-technical-writing-adobe-framemaker-or-microsoft-word/

An anecdote:

I have over 30 years in the tech trade and consider myself to be adept.
In my current position, I was assigned a new "book" authored in Word and
saved as an RTF to convert to FrameMaker. That was in September 2007. I
still occasionally discover some obscure, Microsoft-specific wonkiness
deeply embedded in my converted files.

You mention "(... half my company's docs are written using Word)." IMHO,
Word may be the correct authoring tool for many short documents. Word is
not, however, an appropriate authoring tool for sets of documentation
that may span many chapters, require periodic revisions, and be targeted
for production-quality end use...regards, Kelly.