Import MS Word index markers into Framemaker? [RESEND]

Leonard Anderson leo.o.anderson at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 22:14:04 PDT 2009

[I posted this question about a week ago, but got no response. Perhaps
no one on this list has encountered/solved these problems before. Or
perhaps they just missed the mail.  Resending in case the latter is
true.]

Hi all,

I need to import a book, created using MS Word, into Framemaker.
Mostly this works fine, but there are problems importing the index
markers created by the author using Word. Importing simple markers
goes fine, but I have the problems listed below. (The first of these
is the most serious problem.)

1. Range index markers (e.g., "some item, pages 12-17") created using
Word's facility to create a range index based on a bookmark, don't
import correctly. The problem is that when I create the index in FM,
all that is created is a single page reference (looks like it
corresponds to the actual page where the index marker was placed in
Word), rather than a range reference. Is there a way to import MS Word
range index markers into FM?

2. In some of the MS Word index entries, fonts and italicization are
applied to the index entry text. (In MS Word, I mean that the text
"some_term" in an index entry of the form { "some_term" } may be,
e.g., italicized, or be set in a monospace font. When Word creates an
index from these markers, the font and italicization are preserved in
the index, but when the document is imported in FM, these text
attributes are lost when FM creates the index.  Is there a way of
getting FM to preserve these text attributes of the index during an
import?

3. In some of the MS Word index entries, boldfacing and italicization
are applied to the page numbering format. (In MS Word, I mean that the
index entry has, e.g., the form { "some_term" \b } or { "some_term" \b
\i }. When Word creates an index from these markers, the page numbers
are italicized and/or boldfaced, but when the document is imported in
FM, these formatting attributes are lost when FM creates the index. Is
there a way of getting FM to preserve these formatting attributes of
the index page numbers during an import?

Software versions: MS Word 2000, Framemaker 7.2.

Can anyone help with these problems, especially the first?

Thanks.