A stubborn table numbering ghost

Avraham Makeler amakeler at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 03:14:20 PDT 2009

Hi all,

     RE:   A stubborn table numbering ghost

Using FM 8.

I received an API document with a large number of software structures spread
over a number of chapters and appendixes. Each software structure is held in
an FM table. Each structure table has its own section number and its own
numbered table caption (title). Since IMO the table title is superfluous
(since each structure anyway also has its own section title + num), and
since anyway there are a number of tables with missing titles or wrong
numbering, I decided just to remove all table titles of structures.

Later in the book, in one of the later appendixes (F), there are a few
tables that rightly deserve a table title - so I am leaving them there. What
is peculiar is that in spite of having deleted almost all earlier table
captions, the first table in the Appendix F insists on still starting at
Table 38, the same number as it did before I deleted almost all the earlier
table titles. It should start at 2 (since there is now only one remaining
earlier table). I have checked that the deleted table titles did not remain,
but invisible. I checked this by enabling one here and there (in the
*chapters*), and sure enough, it starts at 2, as expected. Also, if I insert
a new table in any one of the chapters (after Table 1), the new table starts
at 2, as expected.

Further, the wrong numbering occurs also if I insert a new table in any one
of the appendixes; except that from Appendix C, the new tables also start at
38, whereas between Appendix A and Appendix B incl. the new tables start at
28.

Anybody got an idea where all the ghost table captions are?

TIA

- avi