A stubborn table numbering ghost

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 29 05:49:40 PDT 2009

Avi Makeler wrote:

> Ok, forget it..., I should have done an 'Update Book'. That definitely
> helps.
> But it remains a mystery why 'Update Book' was necessary to get the right
> table numbering in the appendixes but not necessary to get the right table
> numbering in the chapters.

It's prefectly logical and exactly the way it should work. A file is an independent unit and FrameMaker automatically updates autonumbering with editing changes so that the file is internally self-consistent.

But a given file can be used in any number of different books, and that file will likely need to have different numbering in each different book where it is used (page numbering and chapter numbering are almost certain to change, while figure and table numbering may or may not change depending on what conventions your books use), so the only way for the file to "know" the correct starting values for its autonumbering is for it to be updated in the context of a specific book. FrameMaker records the starting values for all autonumbering in each chapter when you to an Update Book, so that each chapter will continue to display the numbers that were correct the last time that specific book was updated, but the cross-file, book-level update has to be invoked from the book file so that it will update the chapter files that are specific to that book.

-Fred Ridder