Cross-ref formats

Peter Gold peter at knowhowpro.com
Tue Aug 4 12:11:58 PDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 1:55 PM, Les Smalley<l_c_smalley at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I think you need to have at least formats for referring only to the numbered bit (e.g., Appendix D) as well as the entire title with number (e.g. Appendix D, "Frying Pans and Toasters.")
>
> The biggest issue with the second format is if the text being cited includes punctuation itself.
>
> My preference would be to exclude terminal punctuation from the text and allow the writers to add it as needed in constructing their sentences including the references.
>
> I would also omit the quotation marks from the XRef formats and instead italicize (or bold) the text being cited (including the numbered prefixing info) to help it stand out from the surround paragraph and give your writers the maximum flexibility with a minimal number of formats to insert in their content.
>
> – Les Smalley

As usual, Les has hit the nail! It's a good solution unless your style
guide is iron-clad in its support of the common usage of enclosing
quoted material in double quotes. Although these citations are quotes,
they are also source names; it's common to use italics or other
emphasis property to identify source names, such as these heading
titles.

I'd add the suggestion that you create a uniquely-named character
format, for example, "head_cite," that applies only the unique text
properties to the referenced material; this makes it easy to modify
the appearance, if necessary, without affecting "Emphasis, bold" or
other defined character formats.

HTH

Regards,

Peter