Cross-ref formats

Les Smalley l_c_smalley at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 4 11:55:12 PDT 2009

I think you need to have at least formats for referring only to the numbered bit (e.g., Appendix D) as well as the entire title with number (e.g. Appendix D, "Frying Pans and Toasters.")

The biggest issue with the second format is if the text being cited includes punctuation itself.

My preference would be to exclude terminal punctuation from the text and allow the writers to add it as needed in constructing their sentences including the references.

I would also omit the quotation marks from the XRef formats and instead italicize (or bold) the text being cited (including the numbered prefixing info) to help it stand out from the surround paragraph and give your writers the maximum flexibility with a minimal number of formats to insert in their content.

– Les Smalley