"Transparent Fonts"

Shlomo Perets shlomo2 at microtype.com
Tue Aug 18 08:31:35 PDT 2009

  Eduardo,

You wrote:

>  Next:  The dilemma.  I am trying to figure out whether FrameMaker
>has the capability of being able to make or handle the issue of font
>transparency.  Yup, being able to view a graphic behind the text in
>front of it...."artsy" stuff.
>  The theoretical is having a graphic and then embedding text over the
>graphic, but being able to "see" through the text.  Am I making any
>sense here?
>  Is there a plug in or technique?  Currently, we use Photoshop
>(another fine Adobe product) to perform this function, but I would
>rather stay within the Framemaker environment.....

Adding to Dov Isaacs' reply:

Using Presentation Assistant (FM-to-Acrobat TimeSavers add-on),
transparency is supported with rectangles (of different types), circles,
JPEG images, and -- on a limited basis -- with text strings.
All items are inserted/controlled through hypertext markers. For text items
(typically one-line strings), you can specify the font, size, color and
blending mode.

A sample PDF is available at
http://www.microtype.com/showcase/PresentAsst/TransparentButton.pdf

PDF blending modes are similar to those available in Photoshop (see
http://www.microtype.com/showcase/PresentAsst/Transparentbutton-BlendModes.pdf
)

Shlomo Perets

MicroType * http://www.microtype.com
FrameMaker/Acrobat training & consulting * FM-to-Acrobat TimeSavers/Assistants