Variables established at book level?

Tue Aug 18 09:08:08 PDT 2009

Nancy Allison wrote:

> As stated previously, I am aware of the Import function.
>
> I thought I had read of some way to set up some document features
once, in
> the book file, and have them ripple automatically through the rest of
the
> book files. My question is, has anyone heard of this?
>
> Thanks.
>
> > It would be great to only have to set them up once, without even
using
> the "Import Formats" function,
> > through which I have come to grief more than once.

>From the book window, it takes literally 5 seconds or less to do:

Ctrl+A (select all files)
Esc f i o (open Import Formats dialog)
Alt+a (Deselect All)
Alt+v (select Variable Definitions)
Enter (Import)

There is no built-in alternative, and I'm not sure there's much of a
need. What problem are you trying to solve? How have you come to grief
with this procedure?

If it's something you want to automate because you forget to do it, then
a FrameScript solution is probably best. An event script could import
variables from the title file to the other files in the book whenever
you save, print, update the book, or whatever.

Richard

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.