Import external file by reference

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Tue Dec 8 14:36:01 PST 2009

Combs, Richard wrote:

> No, the updates occur automatically in any case. I have PDFs containing
> 20-30 pages of flow-charts (all from a single Visio file, btw) that I
> imported manually into FM as Fred described, picking the next page of
> the PDF for each new figure. If any page in the PDF changes, it's
> automatically updated in FM.
>
> Fred's scripting suggestion is just to speed up the initial imports. But
> that actually goes quite quickly. I import the first page of a PDF and
> then make copies of the anchored frame containing it (and its figure
> caption and anchor pgf) -- one for each additional page in the PDF. Then
> it's just a matter of clicking each copy and pressing Esc f i f.
>
> FM remembers the source PDF, so in the dialog Fred mentioned, I just
> have to press the right arrow key to go to the next page of the PDF, and
> then press Enter to import that page.

Simpler than I thought.  Still, if the PDF grows by a page in the next
update, the new page won't appear in the .fm file, and if it shrinks by
a page, won't there be a missing-file error message?

(This is all theoretical now -- I have no idea what the OP's source PDF
looks like or how it might change ;-)

Thanks!

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator

srogers phoenix-geophysics com

"Developers explain How the Product Works.
Technical writers explain How to Work the Product."