Using Attributes on the Reference Page

Randall C. Reed randall.reed at forceprotection.net
Fri Dec 11 05:41:02 PST 2009

FM Pilgrims:

We are trying to perfect some standard TOC and Index features in the
Reference pages and are having "issues" with things that apparently used
to work in 6.xx and don't appear to work anymore with Structured 7.2:
This is a MIL SPEC 40051-2 project, which requires a 4-digit work
package number element (<wpnum>) for each file, from 0001 to approx
0400+. The leading zeroes are crucial, as the spec requires four-digits
to appear on the page, page number, TOC, and Index.

Problem: We cannot get Frame 7.2 to recognize the coding to pick up the
attribute <leadingzero[wpnum]>, which sets the number of zeroes to 3 for
WPs 1 to 9, 2 for WPs 10 to 99, and the default 1 for WPs 100 and up. It
should work, but it does. We believe it worked on older versions of FM
that we used in the past, but it won't work now. (We suspect some
unannounced tinkering by Adobe that has had unintended consequences...)
Looks like we are forced to drop the whole attribute idea and just use
the system variable <$chapnum> to generate the work package number and
basically treat it like text so that it retains the leading zeroes,
which would normally be truncated by FM. But, that means essentially
hard-keying <wpnum> values into each file, which is a step backwards, in
my mind, from what FM should be able to do for us automatically.

1.	What changed between 6.xx and 7.2 to make attributes a no-go on
the Reference page?
2.	What is everyone else who does 40051-2 compliant mil spec pubs
doing for <wpnum> in each package? Is there another obvious approach I
am missing?
3.	Am I being completely addled or was there really a way to do
this in the "olden days"?

TIA!

Randall C. Reed

Senior Technical Writer

Technical Publications

Total Life Cycle Support

Force Protection Industries, Inc.

(o) 843-574-3899

(c) 843-906-5522

This e-mail is intended solely for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain legally privileged and CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION intended solely for viewing by the addressee.  If you are not the intended recipient, you should immediately stop reading this message and delete it from your system.  Any review, dissemination, copying, printing or other use of this e-mail by persons or entities other than the addressee is prohibited.  Please notify the Helpdesk at helpdesk at forceprotection.net if you have received this message in error.
This material contains confidential and proprietary information of Force Protection, Inc. and its subsidiaries. Copying this material or disclosing such information to others without the Company's prior consent is prohibited. This material also contains technical data relating to a "Defense Article" within the meaning of the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (22 CFR Part 120). The transfer or disclosure of this information to any non-U.S. person or company without an export license approved by the United States Department of State, Directorate of Defense Trade Controls is prohibited under federal law.