Conditional Text used within a table with endnotes.

kgrace4715 at aol.com kgrace4715 at aol.com
Mon Dec 14 12:11:33 PST 2009

I have a table that consists of multiple rows.  Each row of the table
represents a specific condition.   I currently have endnotes that
appear at the end of the table. The first instance of each endnote is
added via Special > Endnote, there after I insert a cross-reference if
. It should be noted that I want each "letter" to represent a different
occurance of the end noted item. The problem that I am having is that
when I turn the certain conditions off i.e., the instance that
"defined" the endnote may or may not be included in the resulting
document with conditions applied.

I am sure I could remedy this via a separate table for each condition
but that would mean more work trying to maintain the multiple tables.
If  for example I need to add another colum in the future I would have
to do it for each table. The other option I considered is making a
separarate set of endnotes for each condition.  The downside of that is
that if all of the endnotes labeled "2" needed to be updated I would
have to go through them manually and fix them.

I have tried the update references but it does not allow for starting
or adjusting the numbering for those end notes that are not needed due
to the conditions eliminating them.

Sample Table

CondtionA 1
ConditionA 2
ConditionA 1
ConditionB 2
ConditionC 1

1 This is endnote 1
2 This is endnote 2

I get :

ConditionB 2

2 This is endnote 2

Not:

ConditionB 1  (This was 2 but since 1 is not used as a condition it
should be adjusted to 1

1 This is endnote 1 (This is actually the text for 2 but reads 1 since
it is the first condition.