FM indicates the file has been changed when opened ... (was from the thread on how to prevent empty pages in a book)

Syed.Hosain at aeris.net Syed.Hosain at aeris.net
Wed Dec 16 11:37:14 PST 2009

> Text insets and cross-references that are updated automatically (upon opening the file), even if no changes result, will also cause Frame to think the file is modified. Took me a while to figure that out, as it is very confusing to simply open a file and have FM indicate that it's been modified.

Indeed, yes! I have noticed this too and eventually figured it out the same as you did.

My instinctive reaction tends to be one of "Oops, did I enter a letter or keystroke somewhere into the file and now need to go fix?", since I also usually type Control-D, Control-M, Control-T, etc., to open up the various designer and other windows. With mouse clicks in between each, since the designer windows retain the focus when they are opened <argh!>. I am never sure whether my keyboard and keystrokes might not have done the Right Thing™ to the file itself. :)

So, When checking older documents for content and text (where changes must NOT be made!), I am very careful now to:
	(a) *not* save files that I opened for "looking" at, and
	(b) when I open documents that I *am* working on, I immediately do a save so that I am sure of its state, or
	(c) type a few control-Z's to make sure of the state of the document.