how to prevent empty pages in a book? (part xxviii)

Wed Dec 16 12:23:27 PST 2009

Peter Gold wrote:

> I don't have FrameMaker available now, but IIRC, there's a setting
> under Edit > Update that can turn off automatic checking of links when
> a file is opened. I can't remember if it's book-wide, document-wide,
> or application-wide, depending on the active context when you set it.

When a document has focus, you can select Edit > Update References. In the dialog box, select Commands > Suppress Automatic Updating, and then choose which updates to suppress -- cross-references, text insets, and/or OLE links.

When a book has focus, you can use Edit > Suppress Automatic Reference Updating to affect all files in the book. Interestingly, the description in the dialog box says it suppresses updates of cross-references and text insets, but doesn't mention OLE links. I don't use OLE in FM, so I don't know if that's an oversight in the description or if the book-level suppression really doesn't apply to those.

In any case, setting this option at the book level is a good idea for those older documents Syed mentioned that you may need to open from time to time, but that shouldn't be changed.

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom