"Anchoring" Callout Text to a Figure

Peter Gold peter at knowhowpro.com
Thu Dec 17 18:18:24 PST 2009

Hi, Jack:

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 7:01 PM, Jack DeLand <jdeland1 at comcast.net> wrote:
> Well, in my case, this is an example of an FM noob expecting a behavior
> learned in other tools to work in FM.  If one can place objects on a
> virtual page through whatever means, why not be able to select them all
> and easily group them together?   It works in X, it works in Y, so ...
> why should I have to put things inside a certain dotted line to make it
> work?

There are at least three problems when learning something new that has
some similarity to something you already have experience in:

* When to stop expecting that past experience with x will work the same way in y

* When to start expecting that you're moving past the complete novice stage

* When to apply the Serenity Prayer "...the wisdom to know the difference."<G>

> I really like FrameMaker, but there are many "intuitive" things that
> just aren't so to someone starting out.  That's why I read the Help,
> open some books, and ask people on this list.

Good plan, good attitude! The more information you can provide when
asking a question, the more useful the answers will likely be the
first time around. Usually this includes what operating system, what
version of FrameMaker (in Help > About FrameMaker, there's a number
like 9.something followed by p something; all of this comprises the
version number.)

Since you mentioned that your expectations from working with "X,"
perhaps it would help to name X; some of us may have experience with
X, and may have some painfully-learned experience that can help you
make the transition to FrameMaker.

> Thanks to all.

Ask anytime.

HTH