Frame 9 Has No Arial Narrow?

Fri Dec 18 09:14:43 PST 2009

Galanter, Lea wrote:

> I just switched from Frame 8 to TCS2 and am starting down the road of
> converting my Frame files from Frame 8 to Frame 9. Everything
converted
> fine, but when I created a PDF, all my headings (which are in Arial
> Narrow), became Times. I can't seem to fix this. I then changed my
> heading font to Arial, created a PDF, and it was fine.
>
> I did some research and it may be a Windows 7 problem. (The company
just
> upgraded all its computers to Windows 7.) Or does Frame 9 not have
Arial
> Narrow as one of the fonts for creating PDFs? It has the font
otherwise
> for working with. I've never had this kind of problem before, so don't
> know if it's a Windows or Adobe problem, or how to fix it.

When you opened the files that used Arial Narrow, did FM complain about
a missing font? If not, then it isn't an FM problem. How are you
creating PDFs? Assuming you're using Distiller, have you checked its
settings? You're not using a physical printer instance, are you?

Have you looked in C:\Windows\Fonts to see if Arial Narrow is there? It
is, as Art noted, a Microsoft font, not an Adobe font. It comes free
with a fairly long list of MS applications, including most versions of
Office. Embedding is allowed (at least, for the current version). For
the complete list and other info about the font, go here:

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/font.aspx?FMID=1277

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.