Something that makes no sense in spell check

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Tue Dec 22 07:23:00 PST 2009

Steve Rickaby wrote:
> FrameMaker 7.0p577, Mac OS X 10.4.11, FrameMaker files possibly with
> some Word dross. (Yes, i know it's an old version, best I can do at
> present.)
>
> The spell check stops in the space before a cross-reference, showing
> 'Extra space?'. There is no supernumary space in the text on screen.
> The objects displayed in the spell check dialog show a period
> followed by a character that looks like a small circle with an arrow
> at about 320 degrees. Neither of these objects occur in the text on
> screen. Repeatedly clicking 'Start checking' does not move the spell
> check past the offending text.
>
> Retyping the relevant text and reinserting the cross-reference does
> not affect this behavior. The text in the file is fine on the screen
> and in PDF, but the spell check is responding to something invisible
> in the file that appears to be resistant to removal.
>
> Anyone any ideas? This sort of thing spooks me. I am already aware of
> the adjudications for safe handling of material from Word, but it's
> far too late to redo any of this.

Have you tried saving as MIF and then examining the MIF file in a plain
text editor?  Search for the text surrounding the problem area and see
if there's anything unusual.  You might be able to do a find/replace
operation within the text editor if you uncover some weird characters.

Good luck,

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator

srogers phoenix-geophysics com

"Developers explain How the Product Works.
Technical writers explain How to Work the Product."