X-refs working differently in FM 7.2 vs. FM 9?

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Tue Dec 22 09:28:22 PST 2009

Spectrum Writing wrote:
> All,
>

> I have a template that  I created in FM7.2  In this template, I have a
> paragraph tag called "StepNumberBegin" that has the following autonumber
> format: S:<n=1>.\t and a paragraph tag called StepNumberContinued that has
> the following autonumber format: S:<n+>.\t
>

> I also have the following x-ref formats:
>
> ·          Step  which is formatted as <Link>Step <$paranumonly><Default ¶
> Font>
>
> ·         Step.  which is formatted as <Link>Step <$paranumonly>.<Default ¶
> Font>
>

> Note that the ONLY difference between these two is the period. When I used
> these formats in FM7.2, and set up an x-ref to a Step paragraph, as
> expected, the automatic period after the numbering was either not included
> or included depending on the x-ref format that I selected and I have
> confirmed this by repeatedly testing in FM 7.2 - i.e.,
>

> I get Step 1 Step 2 and so on if I use the Step x-ref format.
>
> I get Step 1.  Step 2.  and so on if I use the Step. x-ref format.
>

> In FM9 (all patched and updated), I decided to clean up the template and use
> less tags and I now have a single tag called StepNumber that has the
> autonumber format set to the following: N:< ><n+>.\t < =0>  (This allows the
> numbering to be automatically reset to "1" after a heading and
> auto-increment correctly and the headings are set with the correct
> autonumber formats to allow for this.)
>

> However, when I use this these formats in FM9.0, and set up an x-ref to a
> StepNumber paragraph, no matter which x-ref format that I use - I get the
> period after the number if I use the Step x-ref format and I get a double
> period if I use the Step. format - i.e.,
>

> I get Step 1. if I use the Step x-ref format.
>
> I get Step 1.. if I use the Step. x-ref format.
>

> What am I missing here? The only difference is that I am having the
> numbering be reset after a heading, but the format still is basically one
> that has a period in it after the counter,  just like in FM7.2 and I am
> specifying whether or not to include the period after the counter.

No; a second difference is that your period is now between two counters,
<n+> and < =0>.  It makes sense that FM would parse to the end of the
series of counters when copying $paranumonly, so the period would always
appear.

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator

srogers phoenix-geophysics com

"Developers explain How the Product Works.
Technical writers explain How to Work the Product."