Something that makes no sense in spell check: resolved, sort of

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Tue Dec 22 16:00:23 PST 2009

At 12:51 -0500 22/12/09, Stuart Rogers wrote:

>Looks perfectly normal (compared to a test file I just made).  Have you tried typing something in the Correction box and clicking Correct? After that, I'm out of ideas, sorry.

The suggested correction is the non-existent period following by one space and then the weird circle character. Accepting it does not change the on-screen text *or* clear the imaginary spelling violation. Entering some random text in the correction field and clicking 'Correct' has the same result - that is, nothing changes on screen and the imaginary condition doesn't clear.

I'm out of ideas too, but the book is on its way to press. I guess it just goes to prove that we come across something new every day, whether we like it or not.

At 14:06 -0800 22/12/09, Jeremy H. Griffith wrote:

>You *do* have an extra space after the period after the
>xref:
>
>>   <String `.  '>

Yes - and this is present in the on-screen text too. Actually whatever is there is two invisible characters.

>You might try removing it in the MIF.  It might be something other than a space, though it comes across as one in the email; try replacing both chars with a real space.

Bravo, Jeremy... fixed. There must have been something lurking in the trailing 'spaces' that didn't show up as invisibles in the text editor (nor was it removed either by zapping non-ASCII characters or zapping control characters).

Editing the FrameMaker file on screen to remove the trailing 'spaces' had the same effect, clearing the imagined spelling violation. It is of interest that the spell check stopped before the xref, although the troublesome characters followed it.

I guess Word is the culprit - as usual. Or poltergeists.

--
Steve