Something that makes no sense in spell check

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Tue Dec 22 09:51:41 PST 2009

Steve Rickaby wrote:
> At 10:23 -0500 22/12/09, Stuart Rogers wrote:
>
>> Have you tried saving as MIF and then examining the MIF file in a plain text editor?  Search for the text surrounding the problem area and see if there's anything unusual.  You might be able to do a find/replace operation within the text editor if you uncover some weird characters.
>
> No: great idea. [Does that...] Here is the relevant bit of text, complete with the cross-reference and the table anchor that follows it. The spell checker stops between the words 'shown in' and the figure reference.
>
> There is nothing odd that I can see here, but I'm not an expert at reading MIF. Turning on display of non-printing characters shows nothing odd either.
>
> Which is odd...
>
>   <ParaLine
>    <String `channels shared by client and server. The remote procedure call can therefore implement '>
>   > # end of ParaLine
>   <ParaLine
>    <String `the interface shown in '>
>    <XRef
>     <XRefName `Figure'>
>     <XRefSrcText `51945: FigureTitle: Figure 5.26:'>
>     <XRefSrcIsElem No>
>     <XRefSrcFile `'>
>     <XRefLastUpdate  1261493773 0>
>     <Unique 1042923>
>    > # end of XRef
>    <String `Figure 5.26'>
>    <XRefEnd >
>    <String `.  '>
>    <Font
>     <FTag `'>
>     <FLanguage UKEnglish>
>     <FLocked No>
>    > # end of Font
>    <ATbl 45>
>   > # end of ParaLine

Looks perfectly normal (compared to a test file I just made).  Have you
tried typing something in the Correction box and clicking Correct?
After that, I'm out of ideas, sorry.

Good luck,

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator

srogers phoenix-geophysics com

"Developers explain How the Product Works.
Technical writers explain How to Work the Product."