numbering in character format?

Alan T Litchfield alan at alphabyte.co.nz
Wed Dec 23 12:07:09 PST 2009

Short answer. No.

Numbering is a paragraph function. But you could set up two numbering-
paragraphs in which the first counts "Step <n+>, " and the second
counts "part <n+>: ". Then make the first of those a run in paragraph
style so that the next paragraph starts on the same line. You will
need to make additional paragraph styles to take into account the
numbering restarts.

Alan

On 24/12/2009, at 7:10 AM, obair wrote:

> I want to be able to have a sequence of numbers inline in a
> sentence, so I think I need the ability to apply a numbering format
> to a character using a character tag.
>
> What I want:
>
> Step 1, part 1: Blah
>
> content
>
> Step 1, part 2: Blah
>
> content
>
> Step 2, part 1: Blah
>
> content
>
> I have several such entries, and I need to change the numbering from
> time to time as the document changes.
>
> Instead of doing all of this by hand, is there a way to create a
> character tag that I could use to automatically generate a "1",
> then, in the next place where I have a new Step, create a character
> tag that I could use to automatically generate a "2", etc, and
> update itself in the sequence, the way that I can with paragraph tags?
>
> Thanks.
>
> best,
> Paul

Alan T Litchfield