numbering in character format?

obair obair at me.com
Wed Dec 23 10:10:03 PST 2009

I want to be able to have a sequence of numbers inline in a sentence, so I think I need the ability to apply a numbering format to a character using a character tag.

What I want:

Step 1, part 1: Blah

content

Step 1, part 2: Blah

content

Step 2, part 1: Blah

content

I have several such entries, and I need to change the numbering from time to time as the document changes.

Instead of doing all of this by hand, is there a way to create a character tag that I could use to automatically generate a "1", then, in the next place where I have a new Step, create a character tag that I could use to automatically generate a "2", etc, and update itself in the sequence, the way that I can with paragraph tags?

Thanks.

best,
Paul