Set custom dpi to import graphics

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 9 09:07:28 PST 2009

Nancy Allison wrote:
> I can't figure out how to get Frame to remember the custom dip at which
> I'm importing a whole bunch of graphics.
>
> Sometimes, Frame does remember a new import dpi, but I have no idea why
> it remembers some and not others.
>
> I'm importing .bmps into anchored frames, and every import box displays
> 120 as the custom dpi, which I then have to change to 200. Is there a
> way to get Frame to remember the 200?

Any value that FrameMaker displays in the "custom dpi" box is read from
the header of the graphic file itself. If I take a capture with SnagIt and
leave the "resolution" setting at 96 (the default) when saving the capture
as a BMP file, the custom dpi value I see in FrameMaker is 96. If I set the
"resolution" to 120 before saving the capture, the custom dpi value I
see in FrameMaker is 120. In both cases the pixel dimensions of the
capture are the same and the actual resolution is still the same nominal
96 dpi; the "resolution" in the file header is nothing more than a
"suggested" value for anything using the image downstream, and
FrameMaker displays that suggestion as the custom dpi value.

-Fred Ridder