OT: Frame & Voice to Text software

Leah leah at compulite.com
Wed Feb 18 04:02:28 PST 2009

Technology, such as ergonomic keyboards and voice software is great, but the
root of these injuries are inefficient movement organization and that is
something that can be improved. Improving the quality of your movement can
keep you healthy.

In my practice, I see many injured high tech workers. Carpal tunnel
syndrome, frozen shoulder, throracic outlet syndrome, and many other
injuries that are rampant among hi-tech workers are all subsets of the same
injury - RSI (Repetitive Stress Injuries). It is generally believed that
these injuries are caused by overuse of the body parts involved (digits,
muscles, tendons, ligaments, etc). Yes, we push ourselves to meet deadlines
and ignore our bodies that are screaming out in protest. However, our bodies
would scream a lot less with improved movement organization.

Prophylactic measures are much better than trying to rehabilitate injuries.

The Feldenkrais Method is a method of somatic re-education that opens the
door to deeper understanding of your personal movement patterns and how they
support you or lead you to injury. Participating in Feldenkrais Method
lessons boosts your self awareness, by expanding the movement options
available to the central nervous system. You learn to recognize signs of
discomfort (long before any serious damage is done)  and how to re-organize
the way you use your body at the computer.

So, those of you who want to avoid work related injury or, if you are
already injured, alleviate pains and improve your condition, I recommend
that you join a Feldenkrais Method class in your area or arrange private
lessons with a qualified practitioner.

To find a Feldenkrais Method practitioner and classes try this link:
http://feldenkrais-method.org/node/580. This web page has links to
Feldenkrais Guilds listed by countries.

"Nothing is permanent about our behavior patterns except our belief that
they are so."  (Moshe Feldenkrais)

"Focus on your difficulties and you have difficulties for life." (Moshe
Feldenkrais)

I wish you all a safe, healthy, and productive day,

Leah Smaller
Technical Writer
Certified Feldenkrais Method practitioner
leah at compulite.com