Aligning Autonumbers

Mon Feb 23 13:36:26 PST 2009

Alan Litchfield wrote:

> Like Art said, pretty strange way to do it, but that's what graphic
> designers
> are for right ;)

Actually, right-aligning numbers of varying lengths isn't that strange.
It gives you a consistent amount of space between the number and the
following text, regardless of the length of the number. It looks best,
IMHO, if you set up the pgfs so that the numbers are outdented.

> I would handle it this way:
> 1. Create the auto-number sequence but put a tab symbol after it and
in the
> Basic Paragraph settings put in a right aligned tab. When the numbers
are
> created they should all line up against the right aligned tab marker.
> 2. Then you can put in another tab symbol (left aligned) for the
paragraph
> starting point and in the Basic Paragraph settings have a second tab.
> 3. Set the Left Indent to the second tab setting.
>
> A:n.n.n.n+\t\t

Almost right. But the first tab has to come _before_ the number or it
won't have any effect on the number. Something like this:

For the pgf formats, figure out how much space the biggest number you'll
ever need requires, and define the right tab a bit further right than
that. Then define a left tab (and the left indent of your pgf) maybe 0.2
or 0.25 to the right of the right tab.

If you have a side head area, you can set up the numbered pgfs to span
the side head. Then set your tabs and indents to align the number to the
right edge of the side head and the text to the left edge of the text
column. Looks pretty good, if you ask me.

For the TOC pgfs, you need a similar right-tab-followed-by-left-tab
setup. Then in the reference page TOC spec, set up the relevant entries
something like this:

\t<$paranum>\t<$paratext>\t<$pagenum>

HTH!
Richard