Can FrameMaker variables be part of a hypertext link without losing their formatting in CHMs generated by WebWorks?

Berman, Marta marta.berman at hp.com
Wed Feb 25 04:40:33 PST 2009

Hello all.

This list has been so helpful to me, I'm hoping you can help once again!

The main question is, "Can FrameMaker variables be part of a hypertext link without losing their formatting in CHMs generated using WebWorks?"

The Context
* Using both FrameMaker 7.0 and 7.2 (not at the same time, of course!)
* Generating a CHM file using Webworks Publisher 2003

The Goal
--------------------------------------
To create a hypertext marker (in the format: "message URL <helpFile>.chm::/<topicName>.htm") embedded in a phrase (such as "<productName> <schemaHelpName>"), for example: "WidgitWorld Cool Schema Help".

Additional Factors and Complications
<productName> is a FrameMaker variable containing the product name (for example, the variable contains "WidgitWorld").
<schemaHelpName> is FrameMaker text, three words (for example, "Cool Schema Help").
The entire phrase, productName> <schemaHelpName>, has a character tag applied to it.
The entire phrase comprises the link; we want the entire phrase (all four words) to visually be part of the link.
The marker is somewhere in the middle of the phrase -- not before the variable, obviously not in the variable, and not right after the variable... The marker is applied by selecting the entire phrase.

The Problem
--------------------------------------
Sometimes, in an intermittent fashion, hypertext links of this sort don't display correctly in the CHM. Some do, some don't. The character tag format disappears off either the entire <productName> text or just the first couple of letters of the <productName> text.

The Solution
Is there one? Can FrameMaker handle variables that are part of hypertext links?

Thanks!
Marta

Marta Berman
API and Database Information Engineer          Work:     03-539-9267
Hewlett-Packard Software                                 Cell:        052-833-7723
Building M3, Floor 3, Cube 369                           Fax:        03-533-1617
5 Altlafe Street
Yehud, Israel