converting email addresses to hyperlink

David Spreadbury dspreadb at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 1 06:44:40 PST 2009

The complete procedure, from start to finish, with an alternate method.

==
1. Type email address; i.e., name at email.com
2. Copy email address to clipboard (highlight email address, press Ctrl+C)
3. Select Special > Hypertext
4. In Hypertext dialog, select pulldown and select Go to URL
5. In Hypertext dialog, add "mailto:" in Syntax area, without double-quotes
6. In Hypertext dialog, paste ( press Ctrl+V) or type email address after mailto:
7. Hypertext dialog Syntax are should now reflect "message URL mailto:name at email.com
8. Click New hypertext marker.

The suggestion of creating a Character Format; i.e., URL, with font color set to Blue and all other characteristics set to As Is, gives the reader the visual clue that this is a link, is a very good suggestion. Most people are used to links appearing as Blue text. You could also set the Underline attribute. Again, what most users should be used to.

A second way to accomplish this, if you are creating a PDF of the file, is to type your email address as "mailto:name at email.com" and let Acrobat apply the Hypertext link characteristics. Acrobat 8 does this automatically, although it doesn't apply Blue or Underline to the link. The user must mouse over the link to realize it is a link. Check Acrobat help for a possible way to have Acrobat apply these attributes.
==