Another question re. TOC- Title not showing up when producing TOC

Lynne A. Price lprice at txstruct.com
Sat Jan 3 08:30:04 PST 2009

Adriana,
   Did you ever get an answer to this question?
   Generated files are unstructured documents so there is no to import
element definitions from an EDD into them.
   Are the Title elements really being ignored, or do they result in
entries with no visible content? There are are least two reasons the latter
could happen. One is that the generated content (as determined by the TOC
reference page) may be empty. The other is that when an element contains
more than one paragraph, only the first paragraph contributes to TOC
entries. If a Title begins with a paragraph with no visible content, then
the paragraph text will not contribute visible text to the TOC.
         --Lynne

At 02:25 PM 12/11/2008, Adriana Harper wrote:
>I am also trying to produce a TOC based on several structured files I
>have put into a book.  They consist of Document (highest level element),
>with Titles, Section, and Head.  When I generate my TOC based only on
>Title, it is blank. When I generate it based on Head, the heads used in
>the files appear correctly. When I base it on Section, it is also OK.
>Is it because my Section is a child of the Title element, so it is not
>pulling?
>

>Why is Title being ignored?
>
>Is it because I need to import an EDD into my TOC? DO I need to import
>EDDs into my TOC?

Lynne A. Price
Text Structure Consulting, Inc.
Specializing in structured FrameMaker consulting, application development,
and training
lprice at txstruct.com            http://www.txstruct.com
voice/fax: (510) 583-1505      cell phone: (510) 421-2284