OT: question about paragraph reference and section symbols

David Spreadbury dspreadb at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 7 14:34:41 PST 2009

Deirdre,
Don't know if it applies, but Mil-Std-37874 uses (see 2.2).

I prefer (see 2.2 Introduction). This gives the reader an idea of the subject matter at the referenced paragraph.

I would not use the work 'paragraph', 'section', or the paragraph/section symbols. I believe that the use of the symbols would normally be found in legal documents.

If your style or template allows it, make the reference a link so the user can jump to the reference without having to page to it.