OT: question about paragraph reference and section symbols

Bodvar Bjorgvinsson bodvar at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 02:28:37 PST 2009

With us, it really depends on the type of manual.

We have chapters, sections and paragraphs, all consecutively numbered,
Chapter, Section and Paragraph (which we control by using numbered
lists). We never use any symbols for sections, and I don't think
symbols are used for this by ATA, FAA or EASA (formerly JAA).
Our references can be to a chapter (Chapter 1), section (Section, 2.1
meaning Chapter 2, section 1, which is the way the section shows
anyway -- or just 2.1), or paragraph (list number) which we refer
alternately to including the Chapter/Section numbers, or, if within
the same (sub)section, just to the list number ("1.a.iv" or "paragraph
1.a.iv"). The reference text (Cross reference format) depends on the
context, "see...", "...above", "see paragraph...", etc.

If the section includes max. three paragraphs (depending on their
length), the paragarphs are usually not numbered and a reference is
then just made to the section.

If your (company's) manuals seem to be using arbitrary numbering
system, just try to find out whether you can set up a logically
unified reference system for your manuals (can be impossible for a
contractor) and what would suite as comfortable numbering system for
that category, and then apply that system to each manual as the
revising job allows.

HTH,

Bodvar Bjorgvinsson
Air Atlanta Icelandic

2009/1/7 Deirdre Reagan <deirdre.reagan at gmail.com>:
> Hi all:
>
> Any aeronautics people on this list?  If yes, (or even if no, feel
> free to weigh in) in text, when referring to another part of the text,
> what is the preferred way to note that reference?
>
> I have two documents -- one refers to "paragraph 5.1" and the other
> refers to [section symbol] 5.1.
>
> Do you all refer to "paragraph," use the section symbol, or use something else?
>
> I would prefer to use the the section symbol, but one of my coworkers
> says that someone would see that symbol and automatically think
> [section symbol] 5.1 refers to an FAA regulation so we should use
> "paragraph."
>
> I think the word "paragraph" is kind of strange and it always makes me
> look twice ("Refer to paragraph 5.1, "Monitoring the Electrical
> System," for more details . . ") -- at the very least, I'd use
> Paragraph 5.1. or Para 5.1.
>
> A quick perusal of the USGPO Style Guide didn't turn anything up, so I
> thought I'd turn to you guys.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Deirdre

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious."
 -- Edsel Murphy, dec.