Does FM crash on Large files on a regular basis?

Thu Jan 8 12:24:48 PST 2009

Jeremy H. Griffith wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 11:26:39 +0200, Orly Zimmerman
> <orlyz at marvell.com> wrote:
>
> >I have an FM file that is 14 MB with lots of Visio embedded
> >drawings in different conditionalized rows of the tables.
> >Now, each time I do a compare, FM crashes on me. The corrupted
> >file (with the .fm.c57 extension) shows that all the figs are
> >corrupted.
> >
> >Does anyone have a solution for this? Could it be a simple
> >matter of adding more memory to the computer?
>
> This is the totally predictable result of *embedding* graphics
> in Frame.  Don't do it!  Always, always, always include all
> graphics by reference.  The only fix (short of reverting to
> an earlier version where graphics still work) is to re-import
> the corrupted graphics, this time by reference.

Actually, it's much worse than that. "Visio embedded drawings" are _not_
embedded graphics (in the FM sense) -- FM doesn't have an import filter
for Visio files. They're actually embedded OLE objects. Much more of a
problem than embedding graphics files -- there's lots of overhead
involved with OLE and more chance for things to break.

> If you want to fix this before it becomes a disaster, you
> can use the demo version of Mif2Go to export all graphics
> in their original format, losslessly.  You do not have to
> buy Mif2Go to do this, just install the demo:
>   http://www.omsys.com/dcl/download.htm
>
> The User's Guide has detailed instructions in par. 2.5.2,
> "Replacing embedded graphics with referenced graphics".

I suspect OLE objects are beyond even Mif2Go's prodigious capabilities.

Richard

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.