How do you create a new paragraph after a table?

Caroline Tabach Caroline at radcom.com
Mon Jan 19 06:00:40 PST 2009

Think about this again from a different direction.
My headings are following obviously by text. I fixed the text style so that if there is a small amount of text following a heading, it will force the heading to be at the top of anew page.
The text after the headings is called BodyAfterHeading, the orphan value is 4 (or you can set it to whatever value works for you)and they are set to keep with previous (and next). This forces the heading to move (together with the text) to the top of the next page.
This tag is set to automatically follow all headings (not just that particular one), so that no headings will be right at the bottom of the page with just a little bit of text after them.
By doing this, you will not only be solving your particular problem with a heading after a table, but making something general that you can use with all your books. Since you will generally not want headings to be at the bottom of a page with a small amount of text after them.

(idea courtesy of Shlomo Perets, if you can, take one of his courses)

Caroline Tabach
Technical/Marcom Writer

Fax:         +972 3 6474681
Email:   caroline at radcom.com
www.radcom.com
www.protocols.com

2009/1/19 Avraham Makeler <amakeler at gmail.com>:
> Thanks for the responses.
>
>>> You could choose Special> Page Break. The problem with that method is
> that FrameMaker removes the page break anytime you remove overrides.
> What?!  Really?! In Word this is style independent and is a hard break , as
> real as typing "avi" or any ASCII character(s). No way of making a permanent
> page break?
>
> And if I make a Heading style that starts at the start of a page, I will
> have to make a variant like that for H2, H3, H4  and H5.
>
> Thanks,
>
> - avi
>

> On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 3:13 AM, Mike Wickham <info at mikewickham.com> wrote:
>
>> I have a table *immediately* followed by a heading, the latter being almost
>>> at the end of the page. So I would like to insert a page break before the
>>> heading. How do I do that?
>>>

>> You could choose Special> Page Break. The problem with that method is that
>> FrameMaker removes the page break anytime you remove overrides. So I create
>> a paragraph format called PageBreak and give it a high "space below
>> paragraph" value, such as 500 points. Insert this blank paragraph above your
>> heading and it will force the heading to the top of the next column or page.
>>
>> Alternately, you could fiddle with the "space below" setting for the
>> paragraph style holding the table anchor, or adjust the "space above" for
>> the heading paragraph style, but that either leaves you with an override for
>> your current paragraph style, or forces you to change the value for the
>> paragraph style everywhere in the document. It's best to use paragraph and
>> characters styles as designed, and avoid overriding them.
>>
>> Mike Wickham

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious."
 -- Edsel Murphy, dec.