PDF import problem - solution summary

Adrianne Mora AdrianneM at envipco.com
Wed Jan 14 12:48:33 PST 2009

Hi everyone,

Thanks to this list, I received great advice and two very good solutions
for dealing with my PDF import problem. Here's a summary for anyone that
runs into this issue in the future:

Problem -

I am bringing highly detailed drawings into FrameMaker 8. These drawings
are PDFs that print just fine on their own. When I import them into
FrameMaker, the lines became thicker, making them unreadable on the
screen and on the printed page.

Solution #1 -

Jan Homan from Visual Integrity suggested using their product, PDF Fly
(www.pdf-fly.com <http://www.pdf-fly.com/> ) to convert the drawings
into MIF format. This worked beautifully, and he even offered a 30%
discount on the web price with coupon code VIT030DR8.

Solution #2 -

Rick Quatro from Carmen Publishing emailed me off-list and looked at the
PDFs for me. He concluded that FrameMaker imports the PDF as an EPS with
a TIFF thumbnail. The workaround is to export the Frame document as a
PDF and print from that version. The resulting PDF is perfect. After
struggling with this problem for more time than I'd like to admit, I
wonder why I didn't think of that before!

Thanks for all of your responses,

Adrianne

(who can't control the signature line that follows...)

Please take care of the environment, print only if necessary.